WVEMS e-NEWSLETTER - March 5, 2024

From: "WVEMS Newsletter" <cchristensen@PROTECTED>
Subject: WVEMS e-NEWSLETTER - March 5, 2024
Date: March 5th 2024

WVEMS e-NEWSLETTER – March 5, 2024

WVEMS – RUC Paramedic Program – Roanoke

Western Virginia EMS Council in conjunction with Radford University Carilion will hold an EMT to Paramedic Course in Roanoke. The course will begin in June 2024. More course information, tuition, and the application process will be released later this month.

OEMS Triage Tag – Update

Please find the attached Memo from the Division of Emergency Operations Division regarding the update on the triage tags. If there are any questions, please reach out to Karen Owens, Division Director of Emergency Operations.

EMS Lunch and Learn – March 20, 2024

LewisGale Medical Center to offer EMS Lunch and Learn on March 20, 2024, from 1200 to 1300 at Galen College of Nursing. This lunch and learn will offer EMS CE and will be GSW and TBI Trauma. Please see the attached flyer for more information.

Virginia Office of EMS Update

An Update From the Virginia Office
of Emergency Medical Services

We’ve got some important updates to share with you as we continue to improve the operations and financial standing of the Office of EMS. Collaborating and communicating with our partners in the EMS community is an essential part of this process. We want to keep you informed as we continue to accomplish our goals within the Virginia Office of Emergency Medical Services (OEMS) and throughout the state.

  • The Governor’s Office has allowed the Virginia Department of Health (VDH) to allocate just over $8 million from general funds not spent elsewhere at VDH this past fiscal year to cover specific OEMS obligations. Additionally, the Governor’s FY2024 caboose bill and FY2025 budget proposal, if passed by the Legislature, will allow OEMS to keep the $12.5 million from both years that has traditionally gone to the general funds.
  • In January, OEMS contracted with a nationally recognized EMS and Public Safety consulting firm Fitch & Associates to incorporate national best practices and on-site leadership, finance, contracting and operational support. This consulting team will be funded through federal Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention Workforce Grant funds. During the month of January, the Fitch team has been working in OEMS to better understand the people and internal processes of the Office. Beginning in February and continuing over the coming months, OEMS leaders and Fitch & Associates will visit Regional EMS Councils and several EMS agencies across the Commonwealth including those that are paid and volunteer and in urban and rural areas. The goal of these visits is to get feedback from Virginia’s EMS stakeholders and to learn more about what they expect from OEMS.
  • Return-to-Locality Funding – Over the past four weeks, OEMS has released over $5.4 million in Return-to-Locality funding. Many localities have already received their Return-to-Locality funding, and OEMS is following up with the remaining localities that have not met their obligations in order to receive the funding. These funds are to be used by a locality to support their EMS agencies by providing training to providers or to purchase EMS equipment and supplies. For assistance or questions regarding your Return-to-Locality funding, please contact Michael Berg at Michael.Berg@PROTECTED
  • Funding to the Regional EMS Councils – More than $3.8 million has been released to Virginia’s Regional EMS Councils to pay overdue invoices owed to them for work completed.
  • The Virginia EMS Scholarship Program – OEMS will be focusing on disbursing all previously awarded scholarship dollars to Virginia’s EMS providers in the coming months. For questions about the Virginia EMS Scholarship Program, please contact Chad Blosser at chad.blosser@PROTECTED.
  • State Patient Care Reporting System – OEMS has initiated a Request for Proposal (RFP) to secure an ongoing Patient Care Reporting system for Virginia’s EMS providers, which will begin later in 2024. During this ongoing RFP, Virginia EMS agencies that participate in the ESO platform will continue to have access to the ESO Patient Care Reporting System and there will be no interruption of service. For additional information or questions about the ESO Patient Care Reporting System, please contact Bryan Hodges at Jesse.Hodges@PROTECTED.
  • Next Steps Workgroup – VDH leadership has coordinated with the State EMS Advisory Board Chair and Board of Health Chair to establish the “Next Steps Workgroup” with EMS stakeholders from across the Commonwealth. This group has been meeting regularly to advise on the future of OEMS, the role of the Regional EMS Councils, and the needed resources for the future of OEMS.

National Ketamine Shortage

There is currently a national shortage of Ketamine. There will be no substitute during the shortage. Should pharmacies be unable to replace, the box will be marked that there is no Ketamine due to shortage. WVEMS remains in contact with pharmacies and will update agencies as more information becomes available.

IV and Medication Storage - Temperature Extremes

It is that time of the year that we must remain vigilant about medication and IV fluid temperatures on our licensed EMS vehicles. Please remember that Regional Drug Boxes and IV Fluids must be kept within the manufacturer's temperature guidelines. Failure to do so could result in your agency being charged the cost to replace medications damaged by exposure to extreme temperatures. 12VAC5-31-520 Storage and security of drugs and related supplies.

Bio-Hazard Trash at WVEMS Hospitals

WVEMS Hospitals request your assistance with utilizing the correct bins for trash and bio-hazard waste. Please do not place regular trash in the bio-hazard (red) cans.

WVEMS Region Facing Many Hospital EMS Diversions

WVEMS and SVHC continue to monitor and assist EMS agencies and Hospitals with navigating the Hospital Diversions affecting our region, which includes Planning Districts 4, 5 & 12. These EMS Diversions do not apply to any ALERTS (Gold, Trauma, OB, Stroke, Heart, etc) or any CRITICAL Patients.  Please contact WVEMS with any questions.

Western Virginia EMS Council
1944 Peters Creek Road NW
Roanoke VA 24017-1613

tel 540.562.3482
fax 540.562.3488

www.wvems.org
To unsubscribe from this mailing list, please click here

  • This mailing list is announce-only.

Western Virginia EMS Newsletter

Privacy Policy:

This Privacy Policy is for this mailing list, and this mailing list only. Email addresses collected through this mailing list are used explicitly for distribution of a newsletter from Western Virginia EMS Council.

We only collect email addresses through our Closed-Loop Opt-In system. We don't use your email address for any other purpose. We won't be sharing your email address with any other entity.

Unsubscription can be done at any time. All mailing list messages sent from us will include a subscription removal link, which will allow you to remove yourself from this mailing list automatically, and permanently. All consent to use your email address for any other purpose stated at the time of the mailing list subscription will also be revoked upon mailing list removal.